Specialized training for special pooches
Puppies, just like very young children, need special attention and we at K9 University are aware of the special needs of our puppies. Our Puppy classes therefore, are specifically designed for puppies 10 weeks to 5 months old and ensure that these very young students become happy, healthy, polite and housebroken pets you’ll be proud of. Throughout this puppy training course, you will develop a strong bond with your new puppy through learning and conducting specialized puppy training.
Our Puppy Class begins with a group play period to help ‘socialize’ your dog. We then lay a foundation for good behavior by focusing on three key areas:
- Basic obedience
Good trainers know how important it is to conduct early socialization sessions and you will learn from our trainers about the many things that help your puppy socialize with other dogs and people when at home too. These can include, making more noise at feeding time, taking puppy on rides in a vehicle to the vet, and letting neighbors play with them, including young children, with careful supervision of course.
Training is matter of equipping your dog with the skills he or she needs to be successful in the situation your life requires. We shape basic desired behaviors for a happy, well mannered, and healthy dog, including:
- Teaching overly enthusiastic dogs how to be calm and to relax
- Paying attention to the handler
- Teaching duration behavior
- Walking in position of a leash
- Managing attention getting behaviors such as jumping, barking, etc.
- Teaching your house rules
When you bring your puppy to K9 University, we ‘take the lead’ to help you with puppy training, but we’ll also offer useful advice for new puppy owners when at home:
- During feeding, make an effort to have your puppy respond to his or her new name. Use their name constantly.
- Spend as much time as possible with the pup. Frequent short (10 to 15 minute) play sessions and walks will help him develop a bond with you.
- Take our advice on ‘house training’ and don’t forget to implement it in a disciplined way.
- Train your puppy to happily ‘stay’ in its crate or basket at home and in the car when traveling. Put a treat in back of the basket as an incentive.
- Say ‘No’ if he nips or bites, and gently pick him up by the loose skin on the back of his neck.
We will show you how to always be positive, patient and under control. Never using harsh words or hitting the pup. Building these foundations will give lasting results, which will help before more advanced training takes place.
Puppy Training Syllabus
- Name recognition
- Sit and down
- Walking on leash (loose leash training)
- Settle on mat with duration
- Leave it
- House breaking
- Crate training
- Proper play
Our Head Trainer
Call us to enroll in the next K9U Puppy Class.
To safeguard the health and well being of all K9U students, you must bring copies of your dog’s Distemper/Parvo, Rabies and Bordetella vaccinations to the first class
Puppy Training Class Schedule
|Start Date||#of Weeks||Day||Time||Cost||Description|
|Jan 6, 2018||5||Saturday||9:00 - 10:00AM||$175||5 months and younger|
|Jan 20, 2018||5||Saturday||10:45 - 11:45 AM||$175||5 months and younger|
|Group Classes @ K9|
|Open enrollment||5 weeks||$ 175.00
(include a training and
resource package with goodies)
|Second dog & handler||5 weeks||$ 150.00
(from same family)
We offer supervised indoor and outdoor play with special areas for large and small dogs. You can come to us or our transportation vans will pick-up and drop-off your dog from your home each weekday. Read more >>
Our climate-controlled boarding is monitored 24‑hours by onsite staff and provides your dog with supervised socialized play several hours each day during the stay.
Read more >>